Potato in Poppy Seed Coconut Gravy

This gravy is my MIL recipe. Everybody in my in-laws side do this preparation and use it for vegetables or meat. I usually use potato and cauliflower.It goes very well with rice but my husband even loves it with dosa. Leftovers tastes better so he will always ask me to make a little extra.When i got married and tasted this preparation for the first time i didn't like the poppy seed taste as my mom never cooked with poppy seed but slowly developed the taste for it. I made it this weekend to send it to the event "Think Spice :Think Poppy Seed" hosted by sourashtrakitchen started by sunita .

Poppy Seed - 1 tbsp (Roast poppy seed and soak for an hour.)
Coconut - 1/4 cup , chopped to small pieces
Black Cardamom - 3
Green Cardamom - 4
Cinnamon Sticks - 2 , 1 inch pieces
Cloves - 3 
Red Chilli Pw - 2 tsp
Turmeric Pw - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Onion - 1/2 cup chopped fine
Ginger garlic paste - 1 1/2 tsp
Tomato - 2 chopped fine
Oil -1/4 cup

Potato - 2 cups , 2 inch cubes
Add potato and 2 cup of water in a saucepan and cook covered till potato is half done


1. Grind poppy seed and coconut to a fine paste
2. Heat oil and add all the whole garam masala and cook for 2 min.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
4. Add onion and cook till onion is golden.
5. Add tomato and cover and cook.
6. When the tomato is cooked and oil starts to separate and the poppy coconut paste.
7. Add cooked potato and water in which it was boiled and let everything simmer .
8. When the gravy comes to required consistency switch of the flame.
9. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve with a lemon wedge.

3 comments:

  1. Hm..looks very good.. my mother is big on cooking in a lot of oil and believes anything cooked well in oil will be tasty.. now when I see your dish I am reminded of good home cooked tasty food.. fantastic. thanks for sharing.. I quite like poppy seed paste in my gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curry looks creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nisha
    i tried this rich n delicious gravy today for BHW...and loved it a lot, this is similar to my mom's recipe...we had it with dosa...my H n kids also liked it a lot...thanks dear for sharing this recipe...love to try some other bookmarks from u ASAP :) thank u!!

    ReplyDelete