Chicken cooked in spinach Gravy.
Spinach/Palak is a very good source of iron , many other vitamins and calcium but oxalate present in it binds with calcium and hinders its absorption so it is not considered a good source of calcium.And chicken has become very popular in the recent times.And the combo of this two is wonderful. I loved this recipe because it is very different from the regular chicken preparation . Palak in the palak murg or palak chicken gives it a unique taste and color. I found palak chicken a perfect for party dish , quick to prepare ,very few ingredients and fancy too :).
Chicken - 2 lb/1 kg
Spinach - 1 lb
Onion - 1 cup , chopped fine(optional)
Green Chili - 10 or to taste
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
Cloves - 6
Bay Leaves - 2
Cinnamon - 2 , 2 '' inch stick
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Butter - 4 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Step I : Marination:
- Add turmeric, salt ,oil, lemon juice and ginger garlic paste to chicken.
- Mix well and marinate for few hours in fridge.
Step II : Blanch Spinach:
- Clean the spinach and pick good leaves.
- Boil a big pot of water and drop in the leaves and green chili.
- Cook for just a minute and drop in chilled water or ice to retain the green color.
- Drain and blend coarsely and keep aside.
Step II: Curry
- Heat the butter and add cloves , cinnamon and bay leaf.
- Add onion and cook till pink and add the marinated chicken.
- Lightly brown the chicken pieces and add half 1/2 cup water .
- Bring to boil , cover and cook till the chicken is done on medium heat.
- Add the pureed spinach and garam masala and simmer for 3-5minutes.
- Check for salt and serve with naan or roti.